Curriculum and Resource Guide for Health Care Providers
After completing this curriculum, health care providers will be able to:
- Identify women who may be at risk for depression in the perinatal period.
- Recognize the symptoms of depression and other mood disorders in pregnant and postpartum women.
- Describe how postpartum mood disorders may impact breastfeeding.
- Describe the causes of postpartum depression.
- Provide information to mothers so they can weigh the risks and benefits of various treatment options for depression.
- Work with mothers to preserve the breastfeeding relationship whenever possible.